Tuesday, March 1, 2011

POLAR BEAR PLUNGE...

So this past weekend I participated in The Polar Plunge in Seaside Heights, NJ in order to raise money for The Special Olympics. There was over 20,000 people in attendance and we raised a little over 2 million dollars. This is the second year I did this, and the best weather. Although last year seemed to be a lot warmer outside, we actually had decent weather on saturday. But jumping in to Atlantic Ocean at a staggering 38 degrees and the the air temperature was 55 degrees isn't quite as comfortable as taking a bath or going into a hot tub. But it is all done for a great cause and helps other people reach their goals. There is also another event that I might to if I have time to train for it. It is called The Tough Mudder in Pennsylvania, a 19 obstacle and 12 miles that people run in order to raise money for the veterans, Special Olympics and autism. Last October was at the Freehold Raceway Track, I was not able to run it but I saw a bunch of my friends run. It is not something to do if you do not train or are weak at heart. A person really has to want to finish it or you will quit, most people do. By the end, you are covered in mud and soaked to the bone. The people who hold the events tell you to join or run with a group because half of the time single runners fail to finish. There is also BBQing, Bands and vendors for the families of the runners to enjoy. I suggest everyone check it out, if you do not compete please donate. I am really hoping to be able to run it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment